Saturday 15 August 2015

Verona, 15th August 2015

I spent the morning wandering down side streets, in the shade, towards the tourist attractions. I noticed the buildings here are similar in style but bolder in colour than their coastal counterparts, shades of ochre, coral and sienna, with jade, grey or dark brown shutters.



I passed the arena, with the stage set and props lined up outside ready for tonight's opera.





At Romeo's house, there was nobody there - the hordes were all around at Juliet's. All there was to see was a graffitied arched doorway, barred door, a security camera and a graffitied sign marking the spot. 


At Juliet's house, there was also a graffitied archway, but this time the doorway was blocked with a mass of slow moving tourists, cameras at the ready. I took a deep breath and squeezed my way into the courtyard. While I was waiting to take a picture of the balcony, an American man next to me was loudly informing his wife '...of course it is not real, it's just been staged'. I declined to correct him as he was enjoying imparting his superior knowledge to his wife and I didn't want to ruin his holiday. His wife didn't seem overly interested anyway.


Aside from the crowds at Juliet's house, the city was quiet today. It is the Italian public holiday of Ferragosta, or the Assumption of Mary, where statues of the Virgin Mary are paraded in the streets all over Italy but most Italians head to the beach. There was a thunderstorm last night and the air is less stifling, making it a good morning to look around.

Ancient ruins next to a more modern building.





After walking around for a while, I started to feel ready for a sit down. On passing a cafe, I noticed people with glasses of Aperol spritz and white wine. It was 11:15! Even I couldn't succumb that early. It is at times like these that I really wish I liked coffee. 

Learning my lesson from Ventimiglia, I decided to seek out the station and buy my ticket for Venice tomorrow in advance. Then it was back to the hotel for a lie down.

The shiny, marble paving slabs that leech all of the energy out of my legs.

Later, after a lazy afternoon snooze in the cool of my room, I made my mind up, I am going to the opera! I've been out and bought my ticket and just doing so has made me feel all cultured and sophisticated. 

I'm in the cheap seats which means I don't have to dress up to 'respect the monument' but I am wearing a necklace and my silver sandals to mark the occasion. 

The cheap seats are high in the upper tiers of the amphitheatre and it is a free for all. You're assigned a section and then sit where you can get the best view/sound. I imagine it might be a bit like the rush for seats on Ryanair. 

The show starts at 20:45 but doors open at 19:15. I don't fancy an extra 1.5 hours on top of the 3 hour show, numbing my bottom on the ancient stone, so I'm going to take my chances with a later arrival after dinner. I'm sure I can squeeze in somewhere with my little travel cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment