Monday 3 August 2015

Aix-en-Provence - First Impressions, 3rd August 2015

The minute I stepped out of Rue Rifle-Rafle last night and went in search of dinner in the streets of old town Aix, I felt such a wave of excitement for today - it was 19:30 and the still-warm sun cast a glow on the yellow-toned buildings. The streets of polished stone from the many feet that explore them were busy, but not hectic, with people out enjoying the evening sun, having an aperitif, and like me, browsing the street menus of the many restaurants. I ended up wandering around for 45 minutes, taking in the atmosphere of this beautiful city before my stomach overruled my feet.

A golden street in Aix

Aix is often called the city of a thousand fountains. This one is The Fontaine de la Rotunde.

First stop today is the Tourist Office to get a map of the Cezanne trail and to find out what else is going on. France has nice, civilised opening hours for many things with 10:00 counting as early so I will probably head to the Cours Mirebeau for a drink and to see what market is being held there today before getting on with sightseeing proper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment