Monday 10 August 2015

Juan-Les-Pins, 10th August

Thunderstorms were forecast for this morning. I wasn't sure how I felt about this seeing as my current home is a boat, but they didn't materialise. I think they must have happened somewhere in the vicinity though because it is a lot fresher today - 25 degrees with a nice breeze. No excuses not to go for a run.

I had a look ahead to the weather in my next few destinations, thinking it may be a bit cooler at Lake Guarda. I was wrong - it is predicted to be 35 degrees C when I arrive there on Wednesday, getting up to 38 over the following days, eek!

I did it, my first 5k run in I-cannot-remember-how-long. First ankle rehab run as well, and it felt good. I ran along the coast to Juan-les-Pins and it was a great way to see some more of the area. The marina gets more posh the further you go - I appear to be in the part where the fishermen and small sailing boat owners are, whereas the glitzier motor boats are to the east. I like where I am though, it is relaxed and everyone has a little chat when they walk past, not that I understand much, I just nod, smile and say 'oui' a lot! 

There were a lot of other runners out, taking advantage of the fresher conditions. And just like at home, there were people on the beach regardless of that fact that for the South of France, this is a cool day. People were playing beach volleyball and others were sitting in the shore-front cafes watching the world go by and enjoying the breeze. My favourite runner was an old dude with fluorescent trainers and a flowing, white mullet that glowed as much as his footwear.

My turnaround point - the beach at Juan-les-Pins, above, and looking back towards Golfe-Juan below.

Just as I got back to the boat, the heavens opened. Standing on deck in the rain was a delicious way to cool down. 

I'm thinking of heading to Eze after lunch. The village is in two parts - Eze-sur-Mer is where the station is, but the old village is an hour away up a footpath. It is due to be hot and sunny again tomorrow, so today is the day to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment