Wednesday 5 August 2015

Musee Granet, Aix-en-Provence - 5th August 2015


Art - what is it all about? It strikes me that some of the works you see in galleries are really quite unremarkable. By contrast, others are so incredibly beautiful - sometimes because of the skill of the artist, sometimes because of the imperfections, sometimes because of the expression they exude which overrides the need for any technical skill. Some make me wonder who decides what is good art and what isn't - do they just promote their mates and everyone agrees for fear of being ridiculed if they don't? Or is it the case that if an artist produces one acclaimed piece, then by association, all of their other works deserve some credit? It can make for disappointment if you find yourself in front of a lesser piece and fail to understand what all the fuss is about.

A few pieces draw me in and these are really special - they make me want to get right up close, then stand back, look from different angles and are hard to resist touching. These are the ones which exert some primeval pull, the ones where you think, a ha! I get it. They make you feel breathless.

Others, I can simply walk past, utterly indifferent to that fact that there is a renowned painting on the wall less than a foot away. 

In the American icon exhibition that was taking place at the Granet, only the Warhols really interested me. The fluorescent bulb sculptures of Flavin and copper floor tiles of Andre move me not at all, so I've concluded that I only really care about paintings, oils in particular.

I've also decided that audio guides are awful. People dawdle in front of pieces of art they are not being informed about, oblivious of others who might be wanting to see the view they are blocking. It seems that as soon as their ears are busy, their eyes are closed. Ironic really, in a gallery.

I've realised that best thing, for me, about viewing art in galleries is not necessarily the art itself, but that seeing all of the efforts of others makes me want to go and paint. I must remember this and visit a gallery whenever I am in need of inspiration.

Works of famous artists
A Van Gogh

A Picasso

A Cezanne

A Warhol

Ones that amused me


Ones I like





Other
This one is untitled. Caption competition time! I'm going with 'Having a merde day' and for this one by the same artist: 


'Not such a merde day'.

No comments:

Post a Comment