Tuesday 4 August 2015

Aix-en-Provence - My Last Night, 4th August 2015

It is my last evening in Aix before I depart for Grasse tomorrow afternoon. I've set out for a wander, with a vague plan to notice some more fountains, to have a glass of wine in Les Deux Garçons and to grab some street food when I feel hungry. At 19:50, the heat is still radiating powerfully from the stone pavements and buildings and the light is golden. 

An artisan market lines Cours Mirebeau tonight - I could buy so much if I didn't have to carry it! Lovely linens, hair accessories and leather bags.

Aix is such a delightful town, bustling without being hectic. There is so much to see just by wandering about and looking around, looking up, and peering down side streets. There are plenty of shops and restaurants and it doesn't feel dodgy, at least not in the hours I've been keeping. 

I had a good feeling about Aix on my first evening here and two days later, that feeling is reinforced. However, it does something to the legs and feet, the heat from the streets seems to sap all energy and movement after a very short while, even with plenty of stoppage time. I feel like I've done a full workout after some really rather gentle meandering. 

Having paid a bit more attention to them this evening, I now understand why Aix has so many fountains - they cool the air immediately around them, providing a refreshing bit of open air air-con. As well as being stunning works of art, of course. 

Cours Mirebeau, the view from my table in Les Deux Garçons. It looks quiet, but people promenade along here all day long, making it a great people-watching spot. I saw all sorts this evening! You can see the market stalls on the other side of the street. I bought a delicious, gooey, almond macaron and narrowly avoided buying my body weight in stripy linens.

My neighbourhood.

My studio is just behind the building at the back of this photo.





No comments:

Post a Comment