Sunday 9 August 2015

Golfe-Juan, 8th and 9th August

Golfe-Juan
Evening, 8th August
After a lazy afternoon at the beach, I had dinner at one of the restaurants that line the road next to the marina. Then, enjoying the novelty of living on a boat for a few days, took myself back to lie on deck and read my book. 

Golfe Juan is a little resort situated about halfway between Cannes and Antibes. I was originally planning to base myself in Nice for this stretch of my trip, but the AirBnB search in my price range was turning up some seedy looking places. I expanded the search and up popped this little novelty. The location was good, 2 mins from the train station on the train line that covers the whole of Côte d'Azur from Cannes to Ventimiglia, right on the Italian border. It's not often you get the chance to stay on a boat, so I took it. I've not yet seen the other resorts so I can't compare Golfe Juan yet, but it relaxed and easy going and doesn't have the glitz that I imagine it's better known neighbours to have, which to me is a good thing.

There is some kind of event going on and there are a number of spots along the waterfront where French chanteuses are slaughtering the Eagles and Bob Marley. My spot in the marina means my ears are the lucky recipients of two of these in clashing, cacophonous stereo. 

When the singers take a break though, the accordion strikes up and I have to pinch myself about the fact that I am lying on a boat, under the stars, on the Côte d'Azur. 

I'm undecided about what to do for the next few days. I am in very easy reach of Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Menton and Eze, all of which appeal. But it is so hot, in the nineties, and I'm feeling languorous. Maybe I'll do half-day visits and just laze about here the rest of the time.

Morning - 9th August
I didn't have the best sleep on my first night on the boat, but that seems to be the norm when I am somewhere new. I woke early this morning to a pinkish dawn sky, visible through the open hatch above me, and the sounds of the marina coming to life - boats motoring quietly in and out of their bays, people washing their decks down with hoses. But then dozed for a while longer. 

It is cloudier today, which is a blessing as there is no escape from the sun on the boat, but it is still warming up fast. I might attempt to fashion a bit of an awning with my sarong and some duct tape if the clouds burn off later. There is something about being on a boat that makes me want to be organised and practical, perhaps it is the lack of space and all the little cubby holes.

The only real faff about the boat is that I can't use the loo in port, so have to traipse along to the shower block. However the showers are lovely - clean, air conditioned and more like the changing rooms of a posh gym than campsite showers.

I'm just having a cup of tea on deck - for the first time I remembered to bring some teabags from home, knowing that the weak European tea bags are not up to the job. I'm in no hurry to do anything - I'm enjoying pretending this is my boat, undeterred by the fact that the only thing I actually know how to work on it is the gas stove! 

No comments:

Post a Comment