Wednesday 5 August 2015

Travel Musings


My sister recently described me as an intrepid explorer, but this description doesn't sit comfortably with me - yes, I have a rucksack and yes, I am a lone female traveller. For many, this seems like a fearless thing to do, and in a way it is. But my rucksack is filled with frivolities like books, clean clothes and make up. I am visiting well known, well documented places. Places that are new and exciting to me but not exactly uncharted territories.

While I am doing this, moaning about having achy feet from pounding the beautiful and civilised streets of Provence, there are people fleeing their countries where unthinkable atrocities are being committed, getting away by any means they can, in an effort to save their lives and, should they be fortunate enough to survive the journey, find a better way to live the rest of their lives.

I feel so incredibly lucky to be doing this. My experiences are soft but they are still valid. In life, once we no longer have to deal with the need to survive, find shelter, eat, a different set of problems present themselves - stressful jobs, keeping up with conventional society, trying to be good at multiple roles,  being a success, earning enough money to fund a lifestyle that we don't have time to enjoy because we're too busy working and, on top of this, trying to find some sense of meaning and fulfilment. This is what I am reacting to right now.

If what I am doing can inspire others to take a chance, be brave, get out of their comfort zone in an attempt to live a richer a life, then that will make me happy. In the meantime, I'm going to take the advice of a friend and grasp this opportunity with everything I can.

I read an article the other day in a great online magazine called The Pool about first world problems, which I feel much better expresses what I am trying to say, you can read it here: https://www.the-pool.com/life/life-honestly/2015/30/sali-hughes-first-world-problems

And now, this intrepid explorer is going to stop taking things so seriously and is going to step out in search of breakfast, and then I am going to look at some world renowned art and appreciate the luxury of civilisation.

Photo credit - Kristin Ingalls

No comments:

Post a Comment