Thursday 13 August 2015

Sirmione, Lake Garda, Italy - 13th August 2015

There is only one way to describe it here - immaculate. I just nipped out to get some milk and breakfast supplies. The main road is a short walk away and is lined with modern, timed fountains that spring up every few minutes. The streets are cobbled in a mosaic pattern. Everything is clean and well manicured. 


I found the most incredible greengrocer / deli, with an brightly coloured array of fruit and veg, giant peppers and knobbly tomatoes, cheeses, hams hanging from the ceiling and wines. I committed the foreigner faux-pas of selecting my own produce, but the aproned staff were polite enough to try and hide their sneers.


I'm staying at another AirBnB gem. I'm not sure if it is luck or judgement, but all of the places I have stayed have been excellent, in different ways, and all for around £30 per night. Here I have a bright room, with access to a shady terrace and a pool. It has all the essentials - fridge, fan and corkscrew!

Sirmione itself is a peninsula that juts into Lake Garda on its southern shore. My accommodation is on the edge of town, near to the lake. I'm going to take a look around this morning, there is an old town and a harbour to explore as well as some lakeside beaches. This afternoon, when the temperatures climb, I'll come back and relax by the pool.

Sirmione has its own thermal baths, which have something curious called 'emotional showers'. It is open until midnight tonight and sounds like an ideal way to spend the evening.  

Sirmione. The blue dot is me.

The view from my room.

Where you'll find me this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment