Sunday 2 August 2015

Aix-en-Provence - 2nd August 2015

I have arrived in my bijou studio on a tiny street in old town Aix-en-Provence. The first thing I did on arrival was pour a glass of chilled water from the carafe my host had left in the fridge. The second thing I did, immediately after, was take off all my clothes and stand in front of the fan!

I journeyed here using Bla Bla Car again. Today I travelled with Dominique, a fifty-something lady from Normandy who wore a blue and green tie dye dress with tassels and drove 'Daddy's car', hers being too battered to make the journey. Dominique had just been to a Jazz festival in Marciac and was on her way to Grenoble for the rest of her holidays. Daddy is 91, still cooks, still drives and is bored without Dominique around.

The first part of the journey was awkward for me because I couldn't converse very well and felt bad about keeping quiet. I was embarrassed about my poor French conversation skills and was also fretting about how to explain where I wanted to be dropped off. To fill the silence, Dominique put on a CD, Sting, and told me 'I loorve 'im' whilst holding her hand to her heart. However, as you can tell from what I have found out about Dominique, her schoolgirl French served us well and we were soon communicating, of a fashion, and sharing a few laughs. 

It was very hot on the journey - we were in another small, black car with no air-con and the temperature is 31 degrees. I then had a ten minute schlep with my rucksack to my studio on Rue Rifle-Rafle (appropriate, non?), enviously walking past people having cool drinks at pavement cafés. My first glimpse of Aix looks promising and I am looking forward to dinner and exploring more tomorrow.


My little home for the next 3 nights.





No comments:

Post a Comment