Sunday 9 August 2015

Cannes Can't - 9th August


I went, I saw, I left. Upon arriving at La Croissette early this evening, I gazed out at the sea then across to the beach areas and hotels that lined the waterfront, and I didn't like it. Perhaps it is the time of year, but the contrast between the hordes jammed in together on every available milimetre of the public beach and the super yachts out in the bay couldn't have been more palpable. 



I'm not judging either group, they all seemed to be having a lovely time, but I just needed to get away. The hecticness of the public areas and the arrogance of the many drivers in expensive cars, too important to wait for pedestrians to cross the road, was too much. A few years ago, I'd probably have loved the buzz, the people watching and the any bars, but now I prefer somewhere a bit more laid back.

I'd originally planned to have a nice walk then a drink overlooking the bay, but quickly decided I'd boost the economy back in Golfe-Juan instead.

The station in Cannes was just as crazy - the ticket office was closed because the queues were too long and the self-serve machines were only taking cards, so my €2 ticket has probably doubled by the time commission gets added. A number of trains were running late so the train I managed to get was jam packed. Thankfully I only had one stop and, of course, nobody checked my ticket. 

I'm now back in tranquil Golfe-Juan with a cold beer, happy that I decided to doss about here all day playing at being a boat owner. Hindsight, and chance, given that is what brought me here in the first place, is a wonderful thing. And the water is most definitely not bluer in Cannes.



No comments:

Post a Comment