Tuesday 18 August 2015

Split - Day 2, 18th August 2015

First off today I had to move my luggage from one place of accommodation to another, handily situated just around the corner. Not that I realised this until I'd already walked to a different property, further away, owned by the same company. The temperature here in the morning is very pleasant, in the low 20s so it wasn't too much of a chore, and Ana, who collected me and took me to the correct place was lovely and full of useful information. 

I've moved accommodation because as of this evening, I will no longer be a solo traveller. My boyfriend flies in later to join me for the last 9 days of my trip. I'm really looking forward to having company and being able to share some of these experiences with someone directly, instead of via the blog. I've deliberately avoided exploring too much of Split so that we can do this together tomorrow. 

Instead, I spent the day at the beach. Split has a number of city beaches, which despite their central location, have blue flag status. I went to Bacvice, the nearest, and it was busy but somehow still peaceful. The cicadas were loud in the trees at the back of the beach lulling the conversation of my fellow beach dwellers into background sound.

The water, warm and crystal clear, is shallow, knee high, for about 50 metres, making it safe for children and ideal for playing games like the popular picigin where players try and keep a small ball in the air for as long as possible. At least one game of this seemed to be going on at all times.

The island of Brac was clearly visible in front. I considered wandering along the coast to have a look at some of the other beaches but I'd paid for a sun lounger which had the effect of anchoring me to Bacvice. It's a hard life. 

Bacvice looking towards Brac.

Old town Split



Now, I'm off to the airport to meet someone rather special and then I'd like to get a little drunk on cheap booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment