Friday 14 August 2015

Sirmione to Verona, 14th August 2015

Another journey, another sweat fest. Remind me next time I get the urge to go travelling to go in Spring or Autumn. I thought I liked the heat, but perhaps that is something else that is changing as I get older. 30 degrees + is too hot to do anything other than wallow in water all day. 

I've learned that it is best to wear trousers when travelling around, to avoid sticking to all surfaces, and to carry a small can of facial spray - a quick spritz of water can make all the difference. Everyone was doing it in France, so I feel very fashionable with my little can of Avène (bought in Boots, Hereford).

I'm taking the bus all the way to Verona which will be a first for this trip. No connections or trains to deal with. The ladies in the local shop where I bought my bus ticket were most amused by, but also appreciative of, my use of Google Translate. It has been a real saviour. I even got a 'bravissima' for today's efforts.

The bus was nice, modern and cool. I had a seat right at the the front so I had good views. It is cloudy today and the lake was flat and grey. Along the route were signs for wine shops, the obligatory golden arch of MacDonalds, and unexpectedly, signs for a 'Sexy Shop'. It seems in Peschiera, one is encouraged to get drunk, eat junk food and then... 
But maybe not in that order.

Further along the route, a white van suddenly pulled out without indicating, causing the bus driver to jump on the brakes. It seems the White Van Man is an international creature, 'uomo del furgone bianco' in Italian. All of the Italians on the bus shouted and swore at the white van man. Then, moments later when the van driver pulled over again, he was treated to a load of raised arm gestures and sucking of teeth. It was brilliant! 

The bus dropped me virtually at the end of the street where my accommodation is, on a quiet road on the edge of the centro storico. The outside of the building is smart, painted pale yellow with green shutters and plants at every window. I was met by my host at the massive wooden front door and shown to my room. AirBnB has upped its already strong game and gone all boutique hotel on me. This place is gorgeous! I think this a fairly new venture for the owners but looking around, I don't think the price will stay this low for long. 

My room has parquet flooring and a king size bed, decorated in calming grey and blue. A jug of lemon water and some slippers have been provided for me. I have a private bathroom with Hermes toiletries and there is a communal salon where guests can help themselves to drinks. There are all the touches you'd expect of a £150+ hotel room, not a £35 B&B. What a result.

Before I arrived, I'd thought I'd relax in my room for an hour or so before venturing out, avoiding the hottest part of the day. This lovely environment has reinforced that decision. 



No comments:

Post a Comment