Wednesday 15 July 2015

You Can Be Anything You Want

'You can be anything you want'. 'You can do anything you like'. Positive advice, imparted with such intent to support and provide confidence is a wonderful thing.

However, I've recently realised that if you're a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type, or you have no one dominant strength or obvious burning passion, like me, then the advice becomes a burden.

If I can be anything I want, then why I aren't I there yet? I'm hard working, intelligent and nearly 40 so what am I messing at? My problem is I don't know what I want, yet. The options are so broad as to render me stuck in the headlights like the proverbial rabbit. 

The implication of the advice is that I will succeed. But choosing the wrong path might lead to failure, so I can't do that, I must get it right, mustn't I? But how do I choose the right path? How will I know? And what if I get it wrong? Do I have to stick with it or be seen as a failure? 

I've been exploring this in my mind a lot. Being seen as a failure by whom? Those who gave the advice in the first place probably won't view it like that - ultimately their advice means 'we can't tell you what to do, but we want you to be happy and fulfilled and we'll support your choices'. They're not standing there with a notepad (or modern technical equivalent), waiting to record my failures, so why do I do this to myself?

I've decided to look at things differently now. Instead of seeking my 'one true path', I'm going to try and view what I do next as an experiment. Experiments, by their very definition require trial and error. They require research, effort, thought, changes of tack, plenty of failure and hopefully, a small dollop of success will come at one or more points along the way. 

Experiments also have a goal - their common purpose is to '...discover something, test a hypothesis or demonstrate a known fact' (Oxford English Dictionary). In my case, I'm going with the former, to try and  discover what I want to do with my life so that I can be proud of it and not feel I have wasted it though fear of failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment