Friday 31 July 2015

Avignon - Day 1, 30th July 2015

The view from my AirBnB balcony. I'm very well located on one of the main streets in Avignon, a short walk from the station. After I'd checked in I set out for a walk about the city. It was cloudy with a comfortable temperature and a warm breeze.
This building caught my eye - I love the colour combination of the warm stone and the cool grey shutters. You can just about see the old lady in the middle window at the top, she waved at me and I waved back.

More pretty Avignon streets - the whole city seems to be like this.

The famous Pont from the song Frere Jacques, viewed from up in the Rocher Les Dom gardens above the city wall. Parts of the pont are over 800 years old but the Rhone kept damaging it.

Venus in the Rocher Les Dom.

My first selfie-stick photo, nobody was around so I took it quickly! Must learn to look less serious.

Rooftops of Avignon


By this time I was I need of some refreshment so I wandered to a pretty area recommended by my host for food and drink, the Place des Corps Saints. It was a little triangular area with plane trees and street seating, surrounded by bars and restaurants. Apparently, less touristy than the square near the Palace of the Popes. 

My first glass of rosé in Provence. Cool, delicious and cheap!

After this, I had 30 mins to spare before the Angladon museum closed so I popped in for a quick peek. I don't like spending hours in museums or galleries so this suited me just fine. The museum is a former private home turned art gallery and had a small collection, including paintings by Picasso, Degas, Manet and Van Gogh. My favourite was the Modigliani, but she looks a bit fed up!


I was very tired by this point so it was a quick pizza and bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment