Thursday 30 July 2015

Arriving in France

08:45 - On the Eurostar near Lille
I'm trying to decide whether the landscape of Northern France really is different to England, or whether I just think it looks different because I know I am in a different country. What makes a French field look so French and an English one look so English? I can't quite work it out... I think it's the different type of trees.

I'm feeling very weary today. My first night using AirBnB was a positive experience overall, my host was very warm and friendly, my room was small and neat (and hot - the July temperatures in London were clearly not warm enough for my Italian host who had the heating on full blast!) but the excitement of my trip and the thought of missing my 05:30 alarm contrived to give me a sleepless night. I could sleep on the train, but I really want to see France as we pass through it. I'm going to try and stay awake and will have an early night in Avignon tonight instead.

I have just realised I may have left my sunglasses in my room this morning - on the chair, with my earphones. Annoying! There is a slim chance they are in my rucksack, but if not, I will be shopping in Avignon this afternoon. 

11:50 - Central France
Wheat fields. Endless wheat fields interspersed with woodland and red-roofed houses. Small herds of white cows dozing in the shade. I don't know where we are but the landscape is hillier and drier here. The sun is shining and the blue sky is dotted with white, fluffy clouds. It is very rural. 

12:30 - I just saw a sign for Cluny. The Jewish man behind me has just started singing. I think it is the Massif Central I can see to the west.

13:00 - Lyon. We've crossed the Rhone and the singing jew has disembarked. The streets are sunbaked and the clouds have changed from fluffy to wispy. The people on the platform, waiting to be reunited with their friends and family, are in shorts. One more hour and it will be my turn to leave the train.

The train is much quieter now so I've taken the opportunity to check my rucksack for my sunglasses - I didn't forget them and this has made me really rather happy, my budget is still on track!

13:30 - We've just passed a field of small sunflowers, but I've yet to see a vineyard. The foothills of the Alpes pop into view now and again. It looks warm out there.

13:36 - A vineyard! And pretty church spires. The Alpes are looking a lot bigger now. It is cloudier as well, which I will probably appreciate on my walk to my accommodation later.

14:08 - Je suis arrive a Avignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment