Saturday 12 September 2015

Things are not always what they seem.

watched a video today of someone completing an online CrossFit competition. A video taken by friends of the competitor for the purposes of both validating their score and for them to see their performance, view their technique and learn what they need to change to improve. In the video was a composed women, going through a routine of exercises, looking calm and in control. 

That person was me. But I couldn't reconcile what I saw on the outside, in that video, with how I felt inside. Inside it was a whole different picture - there was nerves, concern about hurting myself, self doubt, worries about embarrassing myself, fear of failing, in public, on film. It just goes to show that just because someone looks OK on the outside, doesn't mean they're always OK on the inside. And vice versa...

In December 2011 I went on a road trip to California, starting in San Francisco and ending in San Diego. As you can imagine, there were many highlights to this trip which I won't go into now, because I want to share a particular moment. 

Erik has been to San Diego many times and he is a fan. As such, he was keen to show me all the cool places - the bars in the gas lamp district, the best burgers at Nicky Rottens and the laid back deck bar selling pitchers of beer and mahi-mahi sandwiches on Pacific Beach, where everyone gathers to watch the sunset. He had often mentioned 'Slomo Man', an old dude who rollerbladed along the boardwalk in slow motion, and this was a sight I was keen to see. 

As we were walking along the beach, about an hour before sunset, in the direction of the bar, Lahainas, I spotted a movement up ahead. Was this him? Yes! There he was, in all his slow motion glory, arabesquing along, arms spread, a huge, almost maniacal grin on his face. I was so happy to have seen him. But it was a passing fancy, a momentary quirk, an amusement.


Or perhaps not, because I came home and told my nephews about 'Slomo Man' and he caught their imagination too.

Then, the other day, over 3.5 years later, I found myself thinking about Slomo Man again, wondering if he is still doing his thing. So I googled him. What a joy! It turns out that Slomo Man, contrary to what initial perceptions have you think - that he is a bit of a nutter, a dropout, has taken too many drugs, is actually a former neurologist. What a perfect contradiction of perception and reality. To see him in action, watch this film, it is only 16 mins long and it is really rather lovely. 

http://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000002796999/slomo.html?action=click&contentCollection=opinion&module=lede&region=caption&pgtype=article


No comments:

Post a Comment